|Terms and Conditions of Hire
- Rental Contract. Your contract is with Rainbow Camper Hire, Skiddaw Grove, Vicarage Hill, Keswick, Cumbria CA12 5QB. Proprietor: Andrew Matthews. The hire agreement forms part of these terms and conditions.
- Drivers. Our tariff includes insurance for one driver. Extra drivers can be added for an additional fee, please contact us for details. Our insurer's standard conditions require all drivers to be between 25 and 75 years old and have held a full EU drivers licence for at least 2 years. Drivers with other licences may be covered subject to insurer’s agreement. Any driving endorsements, health issues or history of accidents/claims in the last 5 years must be specified at the time of booking. Up to 6 points for speeding and a maximum of one at fault claim are allowable. Above this we may not be able to insure you but in some cases an increased premium or excess may be required. Please check before booking. It is easiest if all drivers present both the paper and laminated photo card parts of their driving licences on collection of the vehicle. Where the driver has a one piece licence we require a National Insurance number as well as the driver number in advance to verify licence details on the DVLA database. The hirer must not permit anyone to drive our campervans who has not signed the hire agreement and been accepted by Rainbow Camper Hire regardless of any other third party insurance they may have. Failure to comply with these terms means you cannot drive the vehicle and the cost of the rental will be forfeit.
- Booking. The hirer and all drivers must sign to accept our Terms & Conditions prior to confirmation of booking. A non-returnable deposit of £100 is payable on booking and the balance of the hire charge must be paid 6 weeks prior to the start of the hire. If booking within 6 weeks of the hire period, the full amount is due immediately. Payment can be made online to 08-92-50, account 68525543 quoting your booking reference or by credit/debit card over the phone. Debit cards are best as credit cards incur a 2% processing fee for UK cards. Non-UK debit and credit cards vary from 2%-6% - please ask.
- Availability. If, due to unforeseen circumstances such as an accident, the Rainbow Camper of your choice becomes unavailable, we will endeavour to provide a suitable substitute from our fleet. If a substitute is unavailable or unsuitable our liability will extend to a maximum of a full refund of the hire charges. We will not compensate for any other costs incurred but will offer a future hire at a discounted rate as apology for your inconvenience.
- Cancellation Policy. In the unfortunate event that you have to cancel your booking the following charges will apply: More than 6 weeks prior to commencement of the hire – loss of deposit only. Between 6 weeks and 3 weeks prior – loss of 50% of the total hire charge. 21 days’ notice or less – loss of the entire hire charge. In all cases we will try to rehire the vehicle and if successful we will refund all payments except the deposit. We strongly advise that you take out appropriate travel/holiday insurance to cover any cancellation.
- Collection. Your camper van can normally be collected between 3.30pm and 5pm on the hire start day. Earlier/later collection may be possible depending on other hires – please ask. Please allow an hour and a quarter on arrival so that we can show you how everything works on your particular van. If you haven't driven one of these classic Volkswagens before don't worry, we'll give you a short accompanied familiarisation drive and make sure you're happy before you start your holiday. Any driver who cannot attend the driving lesson on collection will be subject to an additional insurance excess (and therefore damage deposit) of £250. As stated in the “drivers” section above please present both paper and plastic parts of your driving licence and another form of I.D. with your name and address on as we need to copy these for our insurer. Your vehicle will be ready in a clean and roadworthy state, with a full tank of unleaded petrol. Any minor scratches or other defects will be recorded on the vehicle condition form and should be agreed by you. You are welcome to leave your own car with us in our car park or garage nearby but we regret this must be at your own risk.
- Return. The vehicle must be returned in the same clean, roadworthy state with the same amount of unleaded petrol as on collection. Any defects or damage must be reported to us. The vehicle must be returned between 10 and 11am on the final day of hire unless otherwise arranged. Please respect the person hiring the camper next and allow us sufficient time to service the van between hires by adhering to these times. It may be possible to arrange different collection and return times by prior agreement. Please ask.
- A cleaning charge of £100 will be deducted if the interior of the camper and its equipment (including cooker and utensils) are not clean on return.
- Security/damage deposit. At the time of collection a security/damage deposit of £500 (plus any addition if required for insurance excess additions) must be paid, credit card preferred. This will be returned to you in full after the rental provided the camper is returned on time, undamaged, fully fuelled, with a complete inventory and with a satisfactory clean interior and equipment. - Deductions will be made honestly and fairly for making good any damage to the vehicle and equipment that has occurred during your hire of the camper.
-A late return charge of £100 per day or part thereof will be levied in addition to compensation for the next hire customer should the start of their rental period be delayed.
-We are happy to post back any items left in our campervans. A charge of £5 is made for any parcels posted plus the postage.
-Please note that our insurance does not cover damage to tyres or the vehicle windows or theft of equipment or personal effects from the vehicle and these costs are the responsibility of the hirer.
- Any shortfall in petrol on return will be charged at the cost of refueling plus £10.
It is the responsibility of the hirer to pay in full for any damage to the vehicle on hire to them howsoever caused. The damage deposit does not equal the maximum possible liability. The vehicle insurance will cover only damage to the vehicle itself and third party liability in the event of an accident, less the policy excess. Any other costs are the responsibility of the hirer. These may include but are not limited to damage to the vehicle contents, mechanical damage caused by the hirer, costs incurred by mis-fueling.
- Drivers must be between 23 and 75 years old and have at least 2 years driving experience of a manual vehicle. I.D. must be presented at point of hire and each driver must sign the insurance and hire documents.
- Insurance Conditions. Each vehicle is insured with comprehensive cover subject to the following conditions:
- Up to 2 endorsements for certain speeding penalties may be accepted without further insurance premium. Other endorsements or more than one at fault accident in the last 5 years may incur an increased excess or premium. Please check before booking. All licence endorsements must be notified at time of booking so that we can check our insurers will cover you. Any incurred between booking and the commencement of hire must be notified immediately as this may affect your permission to drive. Any endorsements not notified to us will render the insurance void, the vehicle will not be hired to you and the hire charge will not be refunded.
- The insurance covers the U.K. only and the vehicle may not be taken outside this area. Cover for Eire is possible by prior arrangement and an extra fee.
- The vehicle may not be used by the hirer for the carriage of goods or for hire or reward.
- The vehicle may only carry up to the designated number of passengers (varies according to each camper – please check) and must not be overloaded.
- The vehicle must be driven in a careful and safe manner, respecting the age of the vehicle and its lack of modern safety systems.
- Seat belts are fitted and must be used.
- Extreme care must be taken when using cooking and heating equipment to prevent fire or heat damage.
-Damage to tyres, windows or internal equipment is not insured and will be charged to the hirer.
- The policy excess is £500 and is the responsibility of the hirer.
- In the event of an accident take details of any persons and vehicles involved. Do not admit any liability. Contact us as soon as possible. Complete a report form on return to Keswick.
The vehicle must only be used within the law and may only be driven by drivers named on the hire agreement or otherwise confirmed by us. Any fines or fixed penalties incurred are the responsibility of the hirer and the details of the hirer will be passed to the police or other legal authority if requested.
10. Care of the vehicle. The Volkswagen Camper is a classic vehicle. Ours are 40 to 55 years old and should be driven with this in mind. Part of the attraction is the change of pace a Rainbow Camper imposes - acceleration comes eventually and the top speed permitted is 55 mph! It may be tempting to exceed this given a downhill run and a following wind but please - don't. The vans must not be taken up or down hills steeper than 25% (1 in 4) so, in The Lakes, Hard Knott and Wrynose Passes are not allowed. The engines will be reliable and go on and on provided they are not over stretched or over heated. We are now used to modern cars with huge service intervals but these old vans benefit from a daily check on the oil level and fan belt, please. In the event of the red oil warning light illuminating on the dashboard STOP immediately and seek assistance as damage may occur. Any damage caused by failure to follow these instructions will be charged to the hirer and is not covered by the insurance.
11. Breakdown. In the event of a vehicle breakdown the hirer is permitted to spend up to £80 on minor parts or repairs and this will be reimbursed provided a receipt is presented. Breakdown assistance is provided as part of the hire and information is carried on each camper. Please only use this if absolutely necessary as we are charged for every call out. Please contact us for advice if any problem cannot be rectified right away. We will refund the cost of any fullday's hire lost though breakdown provided the vehicle has been driven and cared for properly as above.
12. Other conditions.
- Please respect that all our vehicles are fully no smoking including in any awning provided by us.
- We regret pets are not allowed in Maisie, Daisy, Jess or Harrison. We will allow a dog in Fleur, Robbie or Billy on condition that this is agreed in advance and the camper is returned clean of all dog hairs inside.
- Please ensure adequate ventilation when using cooking or heating equipment both for your safety and to preserve the condition of the camper interiors.
13. Data Protection. Any personal information you give to us will be kept confidential and will only be used by ourselves and our insurers in connection with your hire of a camper. We ask for your consent to keep you informed of Rainbow Campers news, events, stories and special offers but we will never disclose your details to others. If you submit any stories or pictures sent to us for future Rainbow Campers Stories you grant us permission to use such stories and pictures freely on our website and any other publications.
14. Variation Rainbow Camper Hire reserve the right to vary tariffs, conditions and specifications at any time prior to confirmation of acceptance of any booking. Please keep this copy of our Terms for your reference and return the booking form.
The insurer’s standard conditions are detailed below, please ask if any clarification is needed.
|HIRER DRIVE ENDORSEMENT
Notwithstanding anything contained herein to the contrary it is hereby understood and agreed that this insurance covers the insured vehicle whilst let out on hire, subject to the following conditions: -
1) The Insured shall verify the identity and permanent address of the Hirer and any other permitted driver by means other than relying solely on the information contained in the Hirer’s or driver’s driving licence and that such person is not amongst the excluded persons enumerated below.
2) The Insured Vehicle shall NOT be let out on hire to or be driven by: -
a) Hirers under 23 or over 75 years of age unless otherwise agreed by the Insurer.
b) Hirers aged 23 or over unless a full valid UK/EU driving licence has been held for 24 months.
c) Persons who have been convicted of an offence in connection with the driving of a motor vehicle or motorcycle and/or have had their driving licence endorsed or suspended or penalty points imposed. Parking and not more than two speeding offences in the past 5 years may be ignored. “Spent” convictions, covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 may be disregarded.
d) Persons who have had their licence revoked by DVLA due to medical grounds or convictions.
e) Persons who have had their insurance declined and/or renewal refused and/or special insurance terms imposed as a result of claims experience and/or have had their insurance or cover cancelled by any Motor Insurer.
f) Persons engaged wholly or partly in professional entertainment or professional sports persons.
g) Jockeys and persons connected with racing of any sort.
h) Undergraduates and/or students under 25 years of age.
i) Persons who, whilst driving, have been involved in more than one accident during the past 5 years.
j) Foreign Service Personnel other than persons born in the United Kingdom.
3) The insured vehicle shall be driven only by the Hirer or other permitted driver who has completed and signed a Hirer’s Proposal Form immediately prior to any hiring.
4) The Insurer’s form of proposal for Hirer Drive insurance or as otherwise may be specifically agreed shall be completed and signed by each Hirer or other permitted driver. Such proposal shall be forwarded each week to the Insurers. The proposal must be fully completed by the Hirer or other permitted driver in all respects. In addition to the usual declaration and warranty contained in the proposal, the following declaration shall appear on the proposal, namely: -
“I further agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the Insurance which I have seen and read or have had the opportunity to see and read”.
If the statements and particulars in the proposal are in the handwriting of any person other than the Hirer or other permitted driver, such person shall be deemed to have been the Hirer’s or other permitted driver’s agent for the purpose of completing the proposal form.
5) The Insured shall be considered as the being the agent for the Hirer or other permitted driver for all purposes in connection with this insurance but under no circumstances shall the Insured be considered as agent for the Insurers.
6) The Insured vehicle shall not be used for the carriage of goods of an explosive, dangerous or hazardous nature or for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire and reward or any other form of profit or remuneration.
7) Any return premium for cancellation of this insurance or following any other amendment to this insurance will be allowed only at the discretion of the Insurer.
Subject otherwise to the terms, exceptions and conditions of this insurance